Special Education Dept.
The SPED Dept. at Olney puts students at all levels are in reach of greatness
Olney Charter High School consists of about 2,000 students. The Special Education Department services approximately 25% of the student population. We service almost all disabilities and provide Learning Support (LS), Emotional Support (ES), Autistic Support (AS) and Life Skills Support (LSS).
Transition for graduates: part of a complete approach to special education
A complete Special Education program combines a quality curriculum with a serious investment in each student's future in the form of transition coordination. OCHS staffs a full-time Transition Coordinator who works closely with students and families to open doors after graduation and help plan for success after high school.
- Each special education student is registered with the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR), which provides various services depending on the student’s post secondary goals.
- Olney's Transition Coordinator builds networks and evaluates students' needs to help them become registered with entities like AHEDD, Intellectual Disability Services (IDS), and many more based on student goals.
- Students are connected with opportunities to gain job experience at organizations including but not limited to, St. Christopher’s Hospital, Einstein Hospital, ShopRite, SPCA, SpArc, Circle Thrift and more.
- Special Ed. students also find job opportunities within the school building which help prepare them for community-based employment while creating relationships with peers.
Olney Charter High School is home to the largest and most comprehensive Special Education program in the Philadelphia public school system.
Olney is also the regional hub for low incidence service and offers the most comprehensive programming for adaptive art, music and physical education. Download our Special Ed. brochure at the bottom of this page for a more complete look at the department, as well as a review of what makes OCHS a top choice for students in the low-incidence category of Special Ed.
Dedicated professionals for every need, all working for the best student outcomes
- Speech & Language Therapists (3)
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Teacher of Visually Impaired
- Transition Coordinator
- Guidance Counselors (4)
- Crisis Counselors (3)
- Compliance Coordinator
Click the link below to download the full brochure for Olney's Special Ed. Department:
You can also view Olney Charter High School's Annual Public Notice of Special Education Services and Programs and Rights for Students with Disabilities, AKA Child Find Policy Notice.